Sunday, December 13, 2015

Childhood Depression and a Mentally Ill Parent part 2


This post is a continuation of my posts about how having a mentally ill parent can affect a child.  Again I’ll use myself as an example.  This post is about how a child feels when they see their parent act irrationally and erratic for the first time, when a child actually sees their parent’s mental illness.   



It’s very scary for a child the first time they see a parent act irrational, unsound, even crazy; saying things that don’t make sense, not knowing where they are or not remembering who people are.  It’s like the child is seeing a shell of the person they thought they knew.  Sometimes that shell seems empty, like no one’s there but sometimes the shell is full of thoughts that aren’t real, that don’t make any sense.  A child can become afraid of a parent who is unstable.  That fear can be very confusing for a child.       



The first time I saw my mom’s mental illness, she was in a psych hospital.  She looked up at me.  Her eyes were big and glassy.  She stared right through me.  I wasn’t sure if she was even seeing me.  I wanted to cry and run away.  I wanted to hide my eyes and my heart from what I was seeing; from what was happening; from the pain of losing the person I loved most.

   

My mom didn’t know who I was.  It was very hard to see her like that.  I didn’t understand.  I didn’t know what was happening.  I didn’t know what to think.  I wanted things to be back to normal.  I wanted mom home.  I wanted her to know who I was.  I was so afraid; afraid of her, afraid she’d never get better, afraid she’d never be “normalagain, afraid of losing the most important person in my life. 





I had a very hard time accepting everything.  I felt lost, angry, confused and lonely.  I loved mom but was embarrassed she was in a psychiatric hospital.  I was afraid the kids at school would find out.  I felt so guilty and ashamed that I was embarrassed of her.  I was angry at her for being sick and for being weak.  The stigma of mental illness affects children.  Society said my mom was weak, that I was weak and I believed them. 



I was confused because I didn’t know what was wrong with mom or why she was sick.  I felt lonely because I had no one to talk too.  I was trying to be strong and brave.  I was holding all my emotions inside, pushing them down deeper and deeper, trying to hide them from the world and myself but that was a huge mistake. 



Children don’t understand that holding all their emotions inside only makes their pain worse.  They don’t have the coping skills to deal with such a huge change in their parent or such a huge change in their life.  When a parent is mentally ill, a child needs someone they can talk to, confide in; someone to tell them they aren’t alone and that it’s OK to be afraid sometimes, it’s OK to be angry that someone they love is sick, that it’s normal for a child to be embarrassed by a parent who is acting irrational and out of their head.  A child also needs someone who can explain to them that mental illness is not their fault and that it’s not their parent’s fault but that it’s a physical illness that affects the mind and not a weakness of character.



It’s very difficult for a child to see a mentally ill parent for the first time but living with them when they get home is also very stressful.  I’ll talk about that next time.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment